I did not shoot the picture of the "Profoto Disc Umbrella Reflector" to the left. It is from the Ebay listing that I purchased it from.
I don't mind purchasing some photography gear used and saving money. Items like strobe accessories, light stands, tripods and more are all items that I will likely not hesitate buying used. I am a little less likely to buy a camera body or a lens used. However, thanks to Canon Professional Services which enables me to have Canon brand bodies and lenses checked out by Canon, I am also open to considering those items used.
I love my Profoto lighting, but just like their lights, Profoto accessories are not cheap. The profoto disc umbrella reflector for profoto flash heads is no exception at $105 new before sales tax or shipping. Although getting it out of New York to North Carolina would not add any tax and the shipping would likely be free.
$105 for something so simple to reduce spill over light is not super cheap in my opinion. That's why I went to Ebay to see what was available used.
I purchased the one pictured here for $56 including shipping. Other than a minor scratch or two, it looks to be in great shape and should do the job that it's meant to do just fine. I also used this purchase to help me get a second one for $56 including shipping that I think will be in even better shape based on the description on Ebay. I simply messaged the person with the listing and mentioned that if they'd allow me to purchase their's for $56 like I did for another one recently that they could consider it sold. They changed the price. I bought it. We are both happy. So once the latest one arrives in a few days, I'll have two used profoto disc umbrella reflectors for $112 vs. just one brand new one for $105.
1) Don't neglect the option of buying used photography gear.
2) Don't think you always have to have the latest, greatest in the photography world.
3) Don't forget the power of negotiation.
Latest posts by David Williams (see all)
- Keywords for Headlines Based On Wordtracker - January 4, 2018
- Canon C300 Mark II – Cannon Tutorials Plus Two Bonus Videos - August 13, 2017
- Functions Of The Canon 5D Mark IV – 4 Part Video Series - August 13, 2017
- Getting The Canon 5D Mark IV – Several Months After The Release - June 17, 2017
- Attracting & Retaining The Right Clients For Your Photography and/or Video Business - February 16, 2017